The Because We are Catholic Annual Appeal unites 80 parishes, 28 Catholic Elementary Schools, 7 Catholic High Schools, and 3 Special Learning Centers in our diocese in common effort to share the Catholic faith. This year’s Annual Appeal goal is $4 million, which helps to fund projects, programs, and ministries serving children, adults and families in the Diocese of Allentown.
Catholic Charities assists people of all faiths with a wide range of services including:
- Food Assistance so that no one goes hungry.
- The Ecumenical Kitchen in Allentown serves a nutritious lunch four times a week.
- Food pantries are available at the Kennedy House in Reading, Pottsville Kitchen and at the nearest Catholic Charities office.
- Individual and Family Counseling to assist with emotional and relationship issues.
- Pregnancy Support for expectant mothers and newborns.
- Community Support Services to assist with employment issues and emergency needs.
- Housing Services that make safe and stable homes available for individuals and families.
- Older Adult Services and Adult Day Care create safe and caring environments to help seniors remain independent.
- Catholic Senior Housing and Healthcare Services, Holy Family Manor, and Holy Family Residence provide quality physical, emotional, social and spiritual care with dignity and compassion to meet the needs of older adults in our community.
- Health care and housing for Retired and Infirmed Priests who are in good standing.
It is within our Catholic schools that our greatest treasures – our children – are molded for a life of Christian leadership and service. A Catholic education provides ongoing formation of the Christian person by developing spiritual, intellectual, social, cultural, emotional and physical gifts. The elementary schools, high schools, and centers for special learning of the Diocese of Allentown continue a tradition of academic excellence and faith-formation in safe, caring, faith-filled communities that enable children to reach their God-given potential.
Each year, the Bishop’s Annual Appeal supports those men who are considering a life of ordained service to the Diocese of Allentown. Support of the Appeal ensures that, through the generous ministry of our ordained clergy, members of our diocesan family will continue to share the Light of Christ as part of a dynamic faith community.
Your support provides parishes with tools to implement faith development in the daily activities of our lives and supports outreach to Catholics who are inactive or alienated. Pastoral services supported by the Bishop’s Annual Appeal include:
- Youth, Young Adult, Family and Campus Ministry
- Adult Enrichment and Institute for Catechesis and Formation
- Ministry with persons with disabilities
- Marriage and Natural Family Planning
Funds for parishes that meet or exceed Bishop’s Annual Appeal goals.
Only 6 percent of funds raised by the Appeal are used for Administrative expenses which includes design, printing, and distribution of Bishop’s Annual Appeal materials to over 251,000 Catholics.